Little Miss Sarah Jane was born on Monday, March 3rd, 2008 at 8:49am. She was 7lbs. 4oz. and 20 inches long. The short version of the lightning fast labor is as follows:
I woke up Monday morning at about 4:30am with BAD cramps. I layed in bed until ben woke up around 6am and when he asked if I was ok, I told him I'd been cramping since 4:30. He asked if those were "contractions" and I told him that I didn't think so- but I didn't know. He started to time them and at that point they were coming at about 5-6 minutes apart. I called Labor and Delivery and they told me to drink water, take a shower, etc. to try to manage these pains since first time Moms go through labor usually very slowly and that on average labor lasts 12-24 hours. I hung up with her and began drinking water. I couldn't make it to the shower though, and Ben decided to call them back about 25 minutes later since these "cramps" were getting closer and closer together. He got the same story from the nurse and so as he hung up he said, "We're going in. I don't care if they send us home, at least we will know what's going on."
We got to Kaiser at about 8am with bags in the car and Ben dropped me off, doubled over at the front so he could go park the car. I got in and went straight to the elevators, and up the the 5th floor. Still doubled over in pain I got helped right away and was sent into a room. I couldn't get my clothes off quick enough and thought the quicker I get things moving, the quicker I could get some relief with medication. As soon as the midwife checked me she said, "You're ready to go." I wasn't sure what that meant exactly, and then I heard her say, "If you feel like pushing, go ahead. You're 10cm dialated." I think everyone in there was in shock. The midwife, nurses, Ben, and I.... in shock. They couldn't beleive it was my first baby and things had progressed the way that they did.
Me being the photo guru that I am, was bumbed that the bags with the cameras were still in the car! The first shots we got during skin to skin bonding time were from our cell phones! The first pictures we have with the digital camera are after that when they weighed Sarah later.
By 8:49am- only about 45 minutes after I'd arrived at the hospital- our little precious one was born. She's so perfect and just a joy to have in our lives!
My parents came down as soon as they heard that I was in the hospital. Mom stayed with us for a full week and left today to go back home. :o( She was such a great help with dinner, laundry, dishes, running errands, and helping me as I dove into Motherhood. She stayed up late with me one night while we figured out what we could do to make Sarah more comfortable and to stop crying. She came with us to her first doctors appointment on Thursday- I'm not sure I could have gone alone! It was wonderful to have her here, and we miss her already!
3 comments:
Congratulations again! I've been checking for news on your blog daily. Glad to hear all the details! YOU are so lucky it happened so fast! Sad Grandma had to leave for everyone I am sure. Can't wait to meet your little one! Hopefully in May!!!!
Enjoy this time! It will fly by!
Love you guys!! karen
Thanks for the full story! It's so exciting, and she is beautiful! Way to go with no drugs (not as if you had a choice, but still, good job!).
Love ya!
Yes, it was hard for me to leave. And reading your entries brought new tears to my eyes! Enjoyed each and every minute. Can't wait to stay with you all again. love, Momma
Post a Comment